General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

5 man infield

This is a discussion on 5 man infield within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
any of yall run a 5 man.. if so what division do yall play. E D C. i know down ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: chance
Default 5 man infield

any of yall run a 5 man.. if so what division do yall play. E D C. i know down in tx u dont see very many 5 man infields untill u get up in c and above..

chancechatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: dr0p

I play D and we always run 5-man. I play C in league and we never run it.
dr0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Nick

We didnt run it in E last year bit when we moved up to D we did. Better players can kill the middle and the six hole. Five man can limit that, but you have to.have the.right personel in the OF.
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

Just played a tourney this weekend with small fields and 1-up hr rule so they were severely limited. Champs were running a 5-man and killed the team we lost to in a close one. That said, I think our team would have fared better vs the 5-man.
No sanctioning but good D teams I would say.
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: chance

a team we played a couple weeks ago ran a 5 man on us and we scored 12 in the first inning lol.. we ate up the outfield gaps and their outfielders were slow slow..
a team i played on tried to run a 5 man and i pitched.. most of the guys that hit against me pop up or hit dinker groundballs.. the infield couldnt field for shit and the outfield couldnt catch.. so i wasnt a good pitcher for them.. and quit playing for them.
chancechatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Anthony

we played a 5 man that that tourney 2 weeks ago when we got double dipped by blaze
meskin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

This team had a legit OF and good IF. But we would have exploited the gaps better. But we lost.
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

we run the 5 man in tournaments, NSA D. but our outfield is very quick and very talented. with a lesser outfield i dont think you would be able to do it. then again there is no defense for a sold base hit
Super Freak 98 28oz
OG Syn Ext 30oz
USSSA/NSA
Nrg 600 28oz ML
Super Freak 28oz
OG Freak 27oz 2nd batch
WickedSftbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: irishmafia

Five-man infield needs 3 gazelles in the OF, but it doesn't make any difference against a smart thinking team that knows how to hit.

Worked a game last week. One team was a bunch of mid-20 youngsters, the other were veterans that were grey and around 50 yo on average. The kids played a five-man and the old men just chipped over the infield most of the time and then went deep if the OF came it. They 15-runned them in the 4th inning, TWICE.

Too many of today's young players rely on the ball exit speed to beat the fielders reaction than placing the ball with some accuracy.
irishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: j

Originally Posted by irishmafia View Post
Five-man infield needs 3 gazelles in the OF, but it doesn't make any difference against a smart thinking team that knows how to hit.

Worked a game last week. One team was a bunch of mid-20 youngsters, the other were veterans that were grey and around 50 yo on average. The kids played a five-man and the old men just chipped over the infield most of the time and then went deep if the OF came it. They 15-runned them in the 4th inning, TWICE.

Too many of today's young players rely on the ball exit speed to beat the fielders reaction than placing the ball with some accuracy.
truth
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote