General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

2011 ASA Sectionals

This is a discussion on 2011 ASA Sectionals within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
This was my first real sanctioned ASA tourney. I couldn't believe how little urgency was placed on finishing the tourney ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Red Shirt Freshman

Name: Max
Default 2011 ASA Sectionals

This was my first real sanctioned ASA tourney. I couldn't believe how little urgency was placed on finishing the tourney in one day. Open fields all over the place. When you finish an early game in any utrip tourney on field 4 or 5 at the plex, there are at least two full teams sitting there waiting to play right away. There wasn't anybody whatsoever on Saturday. How many games were played today that it was so impossible to finish in one day?

That ball was nerfesque. My Anti-Virus might as well have been made out of wood. The best balls were hit with White Steels and the harder composite on my Extended hit a lot better than the softer stuff on the Combat. Wish I had a decent metal bat on me yesterday.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Billy

Should of called me I have plenty of metal bats
jackpot13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

max which sectionals u play in ?
beam basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Red Shirt Freshman

I was up in Branford. Where were you guys?

Jackpot your name was brought up but we had 12 guys as it is.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

we were down in norwalk , only 5 teams . how many teams did u guys have that you had to go 2 open fields ?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Red Shirt Freshman

Originally Posted by beam basher
we were down in norwalk , only 5 teams . how many teams did u guys have that you had to go 2 open fields ?
18 teams. When I said open fields, I meant that fields were frequently unused (open) which I'm not used to in utrip tournies. Sorry.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

lol gotcha , who were u playing with ? how u guys do ?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Dan

Been playing in ASA's in nbranford for 5 years now. Last year was our first time playing in the worlds for ASA.

If you are thinking that sectionals were run poorly, wait till states. It starts on Thursday night and runs through Sunday.

We had always done poorly in ASA's but last year we split the title and then went to worlds. We thought we should play again this year and try and qualify for worlds, plus districts and states are close/competitive tournaments.

This year we are probably at the end of our wits with it though. We went 2-2...and this is not about me bitching because we didn't win. There are some quality teams and good competition and we know its not a walk in the park by any means. It is just absolutely no fun to play softball with those balls.

As a side note - ASA worlds was run great, roster & id checks, compression testing, umpires were on top of their game. No complaints about the balls at worlds.
punchtheclown18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nationals

But States hasn't started on Thursday in at least a few years. They do that because the only time lights are used are on those weeknights. Even at Nationals, they're typically done by 7 or 8 PM or so both weekend days. Its a weird thing, but ASA does the majority of their play during the day.

The ball CT uses is garbage though, no one denies that. Just imagine though, this Zulu is a step up from the garbage Flyer that they used to use.
UnmaskedGremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Billy

Originally Posted by Max Johnson
I was up in Branford. Where were you guys?

Jackpot your name was brought up but we had 12 guys as it is.
Figures, that's the story of this season, something will become soon no worries and good looking out, BTW who were you with.
jackpot13 is offline   Reply With Quote