Softball Forum - Slow Pitch Softball Forums > Softball Equipment > Easton > Easton Reviews » 2008 Easton Synergy Brett Helmer SCN10BH

Easton Reviews Review manufacturer products here. Post new threads or use the existing POLL threads to rate products 1-10.

2008 Easton Synergy Brett Helmer SCN10BH

This is a discussion on 2008 Easton Synergy Brett Helmer SCN10BH within the Easton Reviews forums, part of the Easton category!
I myself usually just use BP. I myself usually just use BP. This was taken from a Softball Fans post ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

View Poll Results: 2008 Easton Syngery Brett Helmer SCN10BH Rating
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 1 33.33%
6 0 0%
7 1 33.33%
8 1 33.33%
9 0 0%
10 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2005, 04:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Max Johnson

Default Breaking in a Composite Bat

I myself usually just use BP. I myself usually just use BP. This was taken from a Softball Fans post by Budman57...

I've tried several ways of breaking in bats in the past including using the afore mentioned Hit-A-Way, as well as the rubber mallet trick, but I discovered a method one day while I was fooling around that is the best by far.

What I do is take one of my old single walls, and while holding the new bat in my left hand part way up the handle, I tap the new bat up and down along its length with the single wall. I'll explain in a minute why this works better than any other method. The trick is to start easy and not hit it so hard that you risk causing damage. I find that raising the bat I'm using as the hammer about 3" above the break-in bat gives me about the right distance and impact.

Now, this is the best part. As you work your way up and down the bat you will notice several things. First, you will notice that the sound and rebound charactistics are dramatically different along the barrel. It is very easy to feel, by virtue of the rebound, exactly where the sweet spot is. I work my way up and down the barrel, while rotating it, for at least 200-300 hits. The next interesting thing that happens is that you will begin to notice by the change in sound and rebound that the bat is loosening up, and that you're getting much better rebound from places that were previously dead.

The sound and rebound make it easy to identify the sections that need more work, so focus on those sections and work them a little more (generally towards the tip and handle). Eventually you will find that you have created an enormous sweet spot, and that the bat has a lot more rebound than it did originally. It is impossible to achieve this, or to gauge it, if you're using the rubber mallet technique or a Hit-A-Way. At this point you can start to hit the break-in bat harder too, without worrying about damage.

The problem with composites is that you have multiple layers of different materials with different flex characteristics, bound together with resins. Some of the materials will flex readily while others are quite rigid until they get broken in and flexing freely. If you take a bat and start whaling away with it straight out of the wrapper, you are almost guaranteed to start fracturing the layers immediately.

A good analogy is the case where you have scar tissue or adhesions on a previously injured muscle. Parts of the muscle will still be flexible while the scarred area will be stiff. The interface between the scar tissue and the healthy muscle is very prone to tearing and damage, and that's why so many people continue to suffer muscle tears in areas they have previously injured. The only way to prevent it is to break down the scar tissue and adhesions with deep muscle rehab techniques to allow all the layers of muscle tissue to move freely and smoothly together.

When you break in a composite bat properly, you're basically doing the same thing as you are when you're doing deep muscle rehab work. All the composite layers get loosened up and flexing properly, without being damaged. Once everything gets loosened up and flexing properly, the bat will be ready to take serious shots with a much reduced risk of sustaining damage. Try this break-in method and you will really notice how the bat starts to react differently as you work it over. By the time you're ready to take your first game shots, it will be perfectly broken in.

And there you have it. From my basement lab, to you.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Max Johnson

DoubleJ's "Pressure Cracking" treatment
Taken from a post by DoubleJ on SoftballFans.com

------------------------------------------------------------

OK, first of all, I can't take credit for this idea. I followed the directions listed in the bat squeezing thread. I just expounded on them a bit. I recieved an SCX2 second batch today and decided to test this theory. The bat was described as having 50-75 hits on it. I got 2 of my buddies together and we went to work. You will see the term "Well hit ball" often in this writeup. Well hit ball is described as anything in the air that was fair, and not classified as a line drive by the 3 of us.

Size of batter: 5'8" 145Lbs

We went to a local field with a 100' tape measure and a bucket of .44/375 balls and got to work. I was the only batter here as both of my buddies hate Synergys (too much sting). I hit 25 well hit balls. I put 6 over the fence (300' all the way around) with the longest hit being 318'. Average distance of the well hit balls this round was 272'. A few stingers off of the handle too. Estimated sweetspot size: 5"-6"

Then the "Pressure Cracking" treatment.

Then back to the field.

Second time around, again, 25 well hit balls. 17 over the fence with the longest measuring 336' and an average of all 25 well hit balls being 306'. The stingers were non existant in this round. Estimated sweetspot size: 10"

THAT'S SOME FREAKIN' DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

One of my buddies was so impressed by this that he decided to let me do this to his Freak. The Freak had around 200-250 hits on it.

Size of batter: 5'10" 215Lbs
First round. 25 well hit balls with 17 over the fence. Longest was 348' and an average of 312'. Estimated sweetspot size: 9"

Then the "Pressure Cracking".

After the treatment, 21 of 25 balls over the fence. Long shot was 382' with an average of 326'. Estimated sweetspot size: 10"-11"

Again, AMAZING!!!!!!

Now for the treatment. I started by covering the bat with a towel. I then placed the bat into a 6" vice, starting 3" down from where the barrel meets the end cap. I squeezed down to 2", stopped until all of the cracking stopped and then released. I then rotated 1/4" and repeated. I did this all the way around the bat. I then repeated the process down to 1 3/4". Then down to 1 5/8", then 1 1/2". I then moved the bat to 1 1/2" from the cap. This got really tricky. I started it and stopped it at 2". I didn't push it any more as the end cap looked like it was ready to pop out. I then moved the bat to the other end. I lined up the end of the vice to where the handle taper starts and proceeded to start at 2" then 1 3/4", then 1 5/8", then 1 1/2" all the way around as described at the first part of the paragraph.

The cracking is scary as hell. My buddy watched as I did mine and was waiting for it to shatter in the vice. He couldn't watch though when I did his LOL. The Freak, being much more broken in than the SCX2, had much less cracking and popping. The only drawback I saw was that the paint on the SCX2 had some trouble keeping up with the flex of the vice. It didn't crack but, it's almost as if the fibers spread so much that, when it flexed back to normal, it scrunched some of the paint in between the fibers.

I highly recomend this to anyone with a composite. I haven't had a bat rolled but, I can't see how that would be any better than this. Not only did this break in the bat, I think it made it hotter than it should be.
I'll do it for you for $50 including return shipping.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Schmoozin Admin

Name: Matt
Default 2008 Easton Synergy Brett Helmer SCN10BH

CNT Carbon Nanotube technology and Patented IMX - Integrated MatriX technology strengthens composite structures, optimizing designs and materials for maximum performance, patented Extended Flex design lengthens the sweet spot by increasing the barrel flex towards the contour and end of the bat to provide maximum performance along the entire length of the barrel, 12" barrel design with endload for increased power, ultra-thin 29/32" handle with Pro-Tack cushioned grip, does not comply with current ASA Bat Performance Standards, does comply with all other major softball association Bat Performance Standards in effect as of January 1, 2007 - USSSA, NSA, ISA, SSUSA and ISF, exclusive 400 Day warranty!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
SFZ Addict

Name: Kris

This all sounds fishy...
Old 02-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Ken

Gags and his incessant bumping of 4 year old threads must stop.
KennyH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Place Bruins

Originally Posted by KennyH123
Gags and his incessant bumping of 4 year old threads must stop.
He lost his shaved bat so he was looking for pointers.
DaveTBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Nate

better than you bumping four year olds.
n8ss03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Star Player

Originally Posted by n8ss03
better than you bumping four year olds.
Your mother is not 4 years old.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Nate

thats all you got is a yo mama joke?
n8ss03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Star Player

I'm tired today.