Softball Training Forum Discuss softball strength training, nutrition, supplements and practice techniques.

Weight Training for Bat Speed

This is a discussion on Weight Training for Bat Speed within the Softball Training Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Originally Posted by Kram I know I'm a little late in the conversation, but I've been doing a little digging, ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Leading Off

Name: Harry

Originally Posted by Kram View Post
I know I'm a little late in the conversation, but I've been doing a little digging, and some college's have been doing what they call underloading training with bats at are a couple of oz under there normal bat weight. It works your quick reflex muscle's. they found that this helped more than overloading. With this in mind I've been using this idea with most of my workouts, explosive movement's in my squats and deadlfts. Been using a crossfit approach to strengthen my core.
There is merit to this approach. Both Macenko and the DeMarini power chute workouts use light bats. In fact, Demarini states the purpose is to develop the fast twitch muscles.

harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

Name: Mark

I've been training with a 26oz bat. Going to use a 28oz in league. First time I've tried this type of training. For years in the past I have alway use overloading,swinging heavier bat and I mean heavy. Bats full of concrete. To give you a little back round 5'7" 160. 48 yrs old. I've played softball on and off for years. And workout with weight lifting on and off to. This is the first year I have worked out just to improve bat speed and core strength. Not how it will all work. But I'm excited to get on the ball field.
Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #23 (permalink)

I've been training with a 26oz bat. Going to use a 28oz in league. First time I've tried this type of training. For years in the past I have alway use overloading,swinging heavier bat and I mean heavy. Bats full of concrete. To give you a little back round 5'7" 160. 48 yrs old. I've played softball on and off for years. And workout with weight lifting on and off to. This is the first year I have worked out just to improve bat speed and core strength. Not how it will all work. But I'm excited to get on the ball field.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Didn't mean to post that twice. New at this
Old 04-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Ken

Sometimes it just happens Kram, no biggie, we all double up sometimes. Appreciate the info, I might try some training with a lighter bat. I have the Macenko light/heavy combo but I didn't think about lifting lighter to get more explosion. I typically go heavy but I also think my swing could benefit from a little more explosion.

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
chrometip78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
On The Team

Just found this article interesting, has some good info specific to swings.

Bodybuilding.com - Build Incredible Bat Speed For Baseball & Softball!

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
On The Team

Another here...

Workouts To Increase Bat Speed | LIVESTRONG.COM

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #28 (permalink)
On The Team

What the hell, here is a link to where I am finding these links.... about midway down the page.

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
Old 04-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

Name: jef

Originally Posted by BIRDMAN View Post
leg strength, flexibility and rotational strength.

traveling lunges with medicine ball twist. lunge deep with the medicine ball held chest level close to your body. don't let your knee track in front of where your heel is planted when you sink in to the lunge. straight back. hold the lunge and twist left to right with the medicine ball.

dry swings with resistance band. take a resistance band attached at hip level. with straight arms, step and rotate like your swings. go slow with these and make sure you pivot of your back foot.

"around the world" back stretch. wide stance, hands straight above your head (or with a 5lb medicine ball). keep your legs straight and slowly reach down to your left foot, rotate to your right foot, and come back up to straight. do 8 on each side. this is awesome for lower back strength and flexibility. this is key for staying loose and being able to rip the ball with rotation.

traveling side lunges with medicine ball and shoulder press. same deal, step long and lunge deep to the side. straight back. hold the lunge and press the medicine ball slowly above your head...come up. this will help with leg flexibility, your stride and shoulder strength.
This is great stuff.
You may want to add the pully system to further enhance the torque rotation. I slowly go through my swing with about 40lbs & use rope grip with knob. Do 3 reps of 15 of these rt and lt handed. It will fortify your base- lower back and thighs.
Suggestion when you take bp after this workout, lay bat on shouder and swing from there to get your rythmn. You will over swing otherwise.
WCCG(209) 617-2824 COMbat roller: Grey Senior og Snake26oz, Yellow MM gear 26el, Scott Brown 98 26 oz, Combatant 26 oz bal, og Derby Boys 26 oz, JMac 26oz, 27oz JK gear, 27oz Ambush, 26OZ sr DIRTY, 26OZ sr FOSSIL, 27oz sr Blue Gate Verteran 26 og, 28oz Gates verteran, og superemacy (RIP)2011 ODB 55AAA Rock'n Reno Wor ld / All Tourney & California Cup Champions, WCGC 14 mod Trap
When your dancing in the dark, if you miss a beat. It still feels good.
Hitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #30 (permalink)

Name: susan

This is a great thread, i'll surely will follow this one!
ssanmurraye is offline   Reply With Quote