Softball Training Forum Discuss softball strength training, nutrition, supplements and practice techniques.

Weight Training for Bat Speed

This is a discussion on Weight Training for Bat Speed within the Softball Training Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Anyone have exercises they add to their routine or feel specifically benefits swing speed? Something besides the Macenko drills likes ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Ken
Default Weight Training for Bat Speed

Anyone have exercises they add to their routine or feel specifically benefits swing speed? Something besides the Macenko drills likes squats, lunges, woodchoppers, french curls... what's your poison?

34/30 Club

Repping gloves, softballs, and wax in NorCal
chrometip78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
OPS

Name: FM

I think anything that strengthens your hand, wrist, and forearm should help with bat speed. Over and above your regular weight training, you can add exercises like wrist grips, wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, hammer curls, and reverse curls.
oppo and chrometip78 like this.
OPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Star Player

Strong grip/forearms are nice and probably help a little.

But I have a very loose grip on the bat when I swing, and use very little arm anyway. I use my legs to power my hips around rotationally to generate bat speed and power. My arms are just along for the ride.

You want to really increase bat speed?.. work the legs hard, then use a modified or full overlap grip (even a modified overlap increased bat speed 5 MPH), and work on rotational mechanics.

My 2 cents.
oppo and chrometip78 like this.
KennyH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Ronnie

I add a 20oz weight to a 30oz bat and take it to the batting cages. I warm up with about 10 cuts on the 30oz. Then I add the weight swinging at about 25 pitches. I do that usually for about 3 sessions resting 1 minute and 30 seconds in between. I then do my last set roughly another 10-20 swings. The bat feels like your swinging a tooth pick on this set. I do that a few times a week, its a short effective workout for me. I have noticed increased bat speed,strength, patience, and a straighter swing through the zone. I also noticed I can hit opposite field by gaining patience and swinging later. Your form needs to be good on this, maintaining your normal batting stance. I swing a 30oz bat on the regular just in case you were wondering.
chrometip78 likes this.
AttaBoyShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Name: Andy

leg strength, flexibility and rotational strength.

traveling lunges with medicine ball twist. lunge deep with the medicine ball held chest level close to your body. don't let your knee track in front of where your heel is planted when you sink in to the lunge. straight back. hold the lunge and twist left to right with the medicine ball.

dry swings with resistance band. take a resistance band attached at hip level. with straight arms, step and rotate like your swings. go slow with these and make sure you pivot of your back foot.

"around the world" back stretch. wide stance, hands straight above your head (or with a 5lb medicine ball). keep your legs straight and slowly reach down to your left foot, rotate to your right foot, and come back up to straight. do 8 on each side. this is awesome for lower back strength and flexibility. this is key for staying loose and being able to rip the ball with rotation.

traveling side lunges with medicine ball and shoulder press. same deal, step long and lunge deep to the side. straight back. hold the lunge and press the medicine ball slowly above your head...come up. this will help with leg flexibility, your stride and shoulder strength.
chrometip78 likes this.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
On The Team

Ok, so leg training to build power, wrist/forearms to transfer the power, and weighted swings to bring it all together. All good info, thanks!

Anybody doing any wood choppers or similar to build rotational power?

What leg workouts are you doing to build base power?

I'm doing wrist grips and wrist curls now, hadn't thought about reverse curls, is that like a French curl or a regular curl with palms down?

34/30 Club

Old 08-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

i do the medicine ball chops...but slower and with more weight. it's like take a medicine ball and reaching up to the right and placing it on the bottom shelf to your left. make sense? it's more of a controlled movement than chops. 12 each side, repeat. your shoulders, core and back should be burning like hell or you're not doing enough.
chrometip78 likes this.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
On The Team

Originally Posted by BIRDMAN View Post
leg strength, flexibility and rotational strength.

traveling lunges with medicine ball twist. lunge deep with the medicine ball held chest level close to your body. don't let your knee track in front of where your heel is planted when you sink in to the lunge. straight back. hold the lunge and twist left to right with the medicine ball.

dry swings with resistance band. take a resistance band attached at hip level. with straight arms, step and rotate like your swings. go slow with these and make sure you pivot of your back foot.

"around the world" back stretch. wide stance, hands straight above your head (or with a 5lb medicine ball). keep your legs straight and slowly reach down to your left foot, rotate to your right foot, and come back up to straight. do 8 on each side. this is awesome for lower back strength and flexibility. this is key for staying loose and being able to rip the ball with rotation.

traveling side lunges with medicine ball and shoulder press. same deal, step long and lunge deep to the side. straight back. hold the lunge and press the medicine ball slowly above your head...come up. this will help with leg flexibility, your stride and shoulder strength.
That's some serious stuff there, I always think I'm strong until I try some of these exercises that require multiple groups or balance while lifting. Even no weight can be very challenging if it's a new to me movement.

34/30 Club

Old 08-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
On The Team

Originally Posted by BIRDMAN View Post
i do the medicine ball chops...but slower and with more weight. it's like take a medicine ball and reaching up to the right and placing it on the bottom shelf to your left. make sense? it's more of a controlled movement than chops. 12 each side, repeat. your shoulders, core and back should be burning like hell or you're not doing enough.
Yeah, I hate these, not much weight and they are very humbling. It's why I was wondering if people feel they are a benefit. Guess if it's kicking my ass it's good to keep doing.

Sucks, I was lean to my 20's always wanting to be bigger, now that I've been bigger for awhile, I just want to go back to lean.

34/30 Club

Old 08-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

My theory is if you hate an exercise it must be good for you . If its easy..no pain no gain

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Hitts and chrometip78 like this.