Softball Training Forum Discuss softball strength training, nutrition, supplements and practice techniques.

Throwing Strength

This is a discussion on Throwing Strength within the Softball Training Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
My nephew had the same struggle. I bought him the weighted ball by evil sports. We worked on mechanics playing ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Thad

My nephew had the same struggle. I bought him the weighted ball by evil sports. We worked on mechanics playing catch with that ball. Kid developed a cannon we also did some weights.

Doctor Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

Originally Posted by tbsteve View Post
So literally tons of throwing practice is the best bet next to working arms in general?
Yes but arms isn't where power starts it's your legs.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Phillip

^^what he said

there is nothing wrong with hitting the cut off man, that being said good mechanics and the ability to get it there faster accurately never hurts either.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Tom

Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
^^what he said

there is nothing wrong with hitting the cut off man, that being said good mechanics and the ability to get it there faster accurately never hurts either.
I actually believe this to be the norm. Yes I get a do or die throw home but in the end...if your lucky...you statistically only make 10 outs of 100 throws to the plate if that. Imo save your arm and hit that cut off man zippy like. The speed and catch is numero uno as far as importance.
AVALANCHE#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

...and holding your runners.
Stork likes this.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Name: Joe

Stretch the shoulders. My left (throwing) shoulder is ruined. If I stretch I can get it back to the pitcher from behind the plate but it cracks and snaps badly. If I don't stretch I can't even get it there. I actually throw it better underhand. Can't pitch anymore though because of some linedrive could kill me from subdermal hematoma nonsense.
GrinningBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Name: Duane

Throwing underhand is a much more natural motion than throwing overhand, which someone has said is the most unnatural motion in sports.

Originally Posted by AVALANCHE#50 View Post
I actually believe this to be the norm. Yes I get a do or die throw home but in the end...if your lucky...you statistically only make 10 outs of 100 throws to the plate if that. Imo save your arm and hit that cut off man zippy like. The speed and catch is numero uno as far as importance.
Plus, if your throw to the cutoff is 3 or 4 feet offline, the cutoff man will adjust, and can still get the ball home accurately. If you're 3 or 4 feet off as it sails over the cutoff, it's probably going to be 8-10 feet off when it gets "to" home.
AVALANCHE#50 and oppo like this.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

Name: Duane

One of my current outfielders doesn't have a particularly strong arm, but he gets the ball back in to the SS or 2nd baseman very quickly. Runners don't try to take the extra base when they see the ball coming back in so quickly.

I don't play SS much anymore, but did for years. I don't have the strongest arm, but I'm quicker than most on relays. I try to position myself to take the throw about stomach to armpit high as I'm turning to throw. I catch, turn, and throw, all in one move. I have an innate ability to know where I am on the field, and usually don't even see the base I'm throwing to until just as the ball is leaving my hand. My relays are rarely off the mark, even if they get there on a bounce.

2 quick throws are usually better than 1 long one. Runners don't really see the actual speed of the throw, but they'll stop when they see the ball is already on its way.
AVALANCHE#50 likes this.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:23 AM   #19 (permalink)

Name: Gabe

A lot of good info here. I'd agree with the others that the mechanics and long toss is the best bet.
Randolph31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Schmoozin Admin

Name: Matt

Long toss and believe it or not throwing those weighted balls works wonders also.