Softball Training Forum Discuss softball strength training, nutrition, supplements and practice techniques.

Singles vs. Home Runs in Slow Pitch

This is a discussion on Singles vs. Home Runs in Slow Pitch within the Softball Training Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
I have played, coached, and pitched in several slow pitch leagues. I just cannot quite fathom how often batter insist ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By oppo
  • 2 Post By AVALANCHE#50
  • 1 Post By defos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2015, 02:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: John
Question Singles vs. Home Runs in Slow Pitch

I have played, coached, and pitched in several slow pitch leagues. I just cannot quite fathom how often batter insist on trying to get home runs in slow pitch. Most of the time, they pop up, strike out, or fly out. When I was playing regularly, I was batting about .900 just by hitting singles every time at bat and I am not a spectacular athlete. What gives? Fast pitch is a different matter. It can require a lot of skill just to get a piece of the ball and "aiming" to gaps is a lot more difficult. But why do so few teams have the discipline to hit one single after another?

JohnThomas-truthtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

I agree completely. The answer to your question is simple. These people value their ego more than the success of the team.
AVALANCHE#50 likes this.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Tom

Absolutely ^^^^. I am very patient at the plate and avg a walk per 2 games. Through addition that puts me at about a true .600-.650 on base average. If I was selfish my avg. would likely about 500. With that said my patience also gets me swinging on better strikes thus better chance of success. Maybe it's because I pitch/coach but the guy who hits 3/4 singles doubles is way more valuable than 2/4 with 1 homer and single IMO.

Don't let your MeatLoaf
oppo and defos like this.
AVALANCHE#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Duane

After our first game this season, I e-mailed my team about this very thing. Several guys were swinging for the fence like we do in practice. Several new bats helped guys hit farther (in practice) than they had been. Guys were taking huge uppercuts. 2 of them popped up in front of the pitcher! I was guilty my 1st at bat - not of the uppercut, but of trying to hit the ball deep. I changed my grip and swing over the winter and my bat was just getting hot, and I wanted to see if it worked in the game. I realized immediately what I had done, and hit line drives the rest of the day. Fortunately, the guys took what I said in the e-mail to heart. We still had fly balls the next week, but they weren't intentional.

My brother said it sounded like the Rockies - everybody's trying to hit a 5 run home run.
oppo likes this.

Tags
discipline, hits, tactics