SSUSA Senior Softball-USA

Turning 50, Senior bat advise?

This is a discussion on Turning 50, Senior bat advise? within the SSUSA forums, part of the Softball Associations category!
I'll be turning fifty in '14 and looks like I'm going to play a lot of senior ball. Getting on ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Kent
Default Turning 50, Senior bat advise?

I'll be turning fifty in '14 and looks like I'm going to play a lot of senior ball. Getting on a team that plays a lot of tourney's. I picked up a Juggy Geezer, looking to get a new end loaded Melee, and want to pick up an Ultra II. I think I've figured out the Melee to get, the yellow on silver one. There is a ton of different Ultra models out there though and I don't know which to get, heard some batches and/or models are duds. So which Miken to look for and am I leaving out a "must have", "best senior bat"? Thanks

ASA bats that felt the best to me are 28oz RD28, 27oz Recoil 250, & SCX3 28oz, and my 27oz green flipper for the .52's.

tobenamedlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: jimmy

Here's a review I did a few weeks ago after 4 hours of BP hitting several Senior bats...

Miken Triad Senior - 28oz, not very enloaded but didn't feel balanced...smaller sweet spot than some others but it was new out of the wrapper when we started...has a weird tinny sound which muffled a little after every round, you can kinda feel the ball hitting the barrel, like stiff but for a weird reason you could still feel the barrel actually absorb the ball, weird...it hit some killer knuckleballs and when you hit the sweetspot, which opened a little as we went along, the ball flew, height was "Miken" like...

Monsta Fossil Senior 2 piece - 26oz slight enload - if this bat was a 28oz, it would be my bat of choice or at least top 2-3...soft, flexy feel with nice sweet spot and killer line drives with a few crazy knucklers mixed in...maybe because of the weight, it seemed too light for me, but the line drives I was hitting were absolutely killer...I like this bat...

Miken Ultra Special Edition 28oz Maxload (this is the one that starts black at handle and turns gray up to the endcap and doesn't say Ultra II) - has a nice endload to it and this bat had only a few hits before today - after a few balls this bat was STUPID HOT compared to the other Senior bats we had tested today...I friggin LOVE this bat...got it from westtexas and it will be my gamer for 50+ end of story, sick knuckleballs when struck square, insane line drives when you tomahawk high pitches and when it was time to tee off, WOW, love it to death...so OG Ultra like with high flying killer bombs and a sweetspot which is great...

Miken Ultra 2 White 2 piece & 1 piece, the Combat Centarian (white) and Centarian (black) - these kinda felt OK, each had a similar swing weight (27oz) and all hit the ball very well (all senior bats seem crazy to me) and the broken in Centarian (black) felt so much to me like the Combat Snake DaBomb Original and felt really comfortable and hit the best of the Ultra 2's and Centarians...

Worth Senior Legit 27oz - if this bat was a 28oz there's NO doubt it would have been equal to the Ultra Senior SE I liked so much...not a spongy 2 piece feel but I hit a few balls I thought I miss hit that were disgusting long and far, maybe because if you cut the ball it kinda grips better than the others but I actually hit the furthest shots with the Legit and scorched a few linedrives at the net that were insane...I'm getting one of these for sure...if you haven't hit one GET ONE, the bat really is crazy insane...

Reebok Silver and Red Melee Legend 27oz - bat was so game ready I only took 10-12 swings but of those swings every single ball was scorched, when these things are "game ready" they are top 5 easily...

My ranking based on what I swung:

Miken Ultra Special Edition Maxload 28oz
Worth Senior Legit 27oz
Miken Senior Triad 28oz
Monsta Fossil Senior 26oz/Reebok Melee Legend 27oz
Combat Black Centarian
Ultra II 2 piece (white barrel)
Ultra II 1 piece black/red barrel (not the OG one)
JIMMY34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: jimmy

I can tell you if I was to only have a choice of bats it would easily be the Miken Ultra OG SE (its got a black handle and fades up to the OG Ultra Gray and also the Worth Legit Senior bat...

Senior Wanted is supposedly endloaded and really goos also...
JIMMY34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

I turn 50 at the end of '18, and while I don't have anything to compare it against, I like the new Easton that is coming out. It is a pretty hot bat and it feels like an Easton which I like. BSR is the balanced one that will come out (1 pc). I don't know the whats and ifs on a 2pc or EL'd yet but they have a few years to figure it out.
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

The sr legit should be close to "feel" like your rd28. And for $149 its a cheaper bat.
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: gilbert

Originally Posted by tobenamedlater View Post
I'll be turning fifty in '14 and looks like I'm going to play a lot of senior ball. Getting on a team that plays a lot of tourney's. I picked up a Juggy Geezer, looking to get a new end loaded Melee, and want to pick up an Ultra II. I think I've figured out the Melee to get, the yellow on silver one. There is a ton of different Ultra models out there though and I don't know which to get, heard some batches and/or models are duds. So which Miken to look for and am I leaving out a "must have", "best senior bat"? Thanks

ASA bats that felt the best to me are 28oz RD28, 27oz Recoil 250, & SCX3 28oz, and my 27oz green flipper for the .52's.
i just bought a miken freak 1 batch on ebay, these bats were tanks, and we can use them in my town and state.i know i see some more for sale on ebay, if you ever liked the miken freak og.
miken190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Joe

Right now it's pretty much the Miken Mike Macenko Ultra II, A.D. Starr Nightmare, and Dudley Lightning. Then everything else. Those last two are absolute tanks.
GrinningBear is offline   Reply With Quote